Monday, November 9, 2009

Did I Mention That Shopping is for the Criminally Insane?

by sylvia

oh yeah, I did - right here. But alas, I need to remember – just because it fits, doesn’t mean I need to wear it.

So me and the Bianca went shopping yesterday.  Yes.  We had every intention of buying something, because duh, why else would you go shopping?  But specifically, we were shopping for dresses to wear to our company’s upcoming Holiday party.

Now, I’ve been going to this party for the last 10 years, and it is always a great time (I mean, how can you go wrong with an open bar and great food, and a live band), but had the most fun last year going with Bianca.  We shopped,we got our hair did, we gor our drink on, we had a great time.

So we had to find us some gorgy dresses for this year.  Because last year, umm – we were the belles of the damn ball (but not like Bella).  Not that it was that hard, but DAMN – we looked GOOD!

So of course we need to top last year.And today was our first shopping day.And it was a total bust.We went to 7 different stores (7!) and tried on 23 dresses, all of which were at the first store.  And seriously – we bought NOTHING(well, I bought some BumpIts and Bianca bought some earrings, but still….).  Some were ok, some were bad, and some were just downright WRONG.  I made Bianca try those on.  Since when is this a flattering shape on anyone?

And in actuality, the dress I made Bianca try on was way, WAY less flattering than this one.  Plus, one on the “straps” was broken, so it was essentially strapless, and the boob section was made for someone with perhaps a -AA chest (even though it was a 22W).

So maybe we hit the stores too soon.  But it is always challenging for me to find a dress because most cocktail/evening dresses are sleeveless, and although I am on the positive pathway to accepting and loving my belly, my upper arms and I are not even close to discussing the possibility of perhaps maybe in the future thinking about discussing talking about the chance that we might do some contract negotiations. 

Clearly, I need to work on that.

Last year, I bought this beautiful dress from IGIGI (blindly) and I fortunate enough for it to actually fit and look great (I had never purchased anything from them before).  What I loved about this dress was the sleeves (duh), the color (I always end up wearing black to these parties), and the cleavage exposure:

So the hardest thing I had in front of me was to find some shoes and jewelry, and to help Bianca shop for her dress.  Fortunately, we accomplished all of that in one day.  Bianca got quite lucky finding a beautiful dress and awesome shoes all within her budget (you can kinda see her shoes here).

The day of the party, we got our hair did, and we met our husbands at the hotel, got our drink on, got ready, and applied the over-the-limit yet  requisite amount of edible body glitter powder and then basically fielded compliments from people all over the party.  It was so awesome, because we are probably two of the fattest people in our company, but we were getting tons of positive attention that night because we were so fabulous!

So that’s why we need to top last year’s party.  I’m not saying that we should go above and beyond what we did last year, but I spent so many years trying to just get by at these parties and not get noticed for what I was wearing, that it was kind of a drug last year to be in the spotlight, so to speak.  Sort of how it felt like when we went to the Poison concert earlier this year.

I found this dress at Kiyonna and I am in love with it.  I’ve never ordered anything from them before, but I think I’m going to take my chances and order it and hope it all works out:

Oh yeah, I totally look exactly like this

 

No comments:

Post a Comment