Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bra Reviews

I’d been meaning to post about my new bras for a while, but kept forgetting. Thanks to this post over at Living ~400 Pounds it finally got done. (You’ll appreciate that one more than mine if you’re over a D cup.)

I work from home, and my husband works outside the home, so I find it difficult to justify buying clothes for myself because it seems he always needs something (it’s the sort of job where clothes don’t last very long) so the clothing budget goes to him. I was down to four bras, and all of them either the elastic was shot or the hooks were, or they were about twelve sizes too small. One was at least eight years old, the others at least three.

The ones I bought a few years ago, one was a cheapy exercise bra, and the other two were Cacique T-shirt-type-bras. They were comfy and good for the Florida summers. I found them for $8 at a Lane Bryant outlet, and they served well, except being full coverage and difficult to wear with a lot of my shirts. And, well, the hooks were going, and the wires were poking, and, I really (with a great deal of some convincing) decided I needed to buy some bras.

I ordered two: the first was Avenue’s ONESexy Tuxedo Plunge Underwire Bra. I’d never bought a bra from Avenue, but it was pretty, would work well with my wardrobe, and was on sale at the time. I was afraid it’d be horrible. I’d bought plunge bras from Cacique before and they were, frankly, horrible. My boobs looked awesome, don’t get me wrong, and it could’ve just been a sizing issue, but I would cry at night after wearing them, they were so bad. But the Avenue bra is awesome. The cups run big – I’m normally a D, bordering on DD (well, one of them is, anyway), and I had to get a C to get the right fit. The negative is they are not machine washable. At all. Don’t try it. Mine has already been through the washer twice due to not snatching it out of the laundry basket before husband tossed it in, and there is pretty visible damage to the satin and the elastic. Get some Soak Wash and hand wash them. It’s no work at all, and they dry just fine even in omg-Florida-summer-humidity.

Otherwise, it is a beautiful bra and I had no pain or discomfort even wearing it for about 20 hours during a trip out of town.

The second bra was an exercise bra: the Magic Lift no-wire bra by Glamorise Sport. I think this is also sold by Lane Bryant as the “Glamorise back-closure sports bra.” There may be differences but they look the same.

The bra isn’t the type of exercise bra I would wear out without a shirt, and it’s not going to be helpful on its own for anything with a lot of bouncing, but it’s perfect for my needs, which is basically to keep the chest out of the way during yoga, Pilates, weights, biking, etc. I toss a tank top on over it if I’m going to the exercise room or wear it alone when working out at home.

On first wear I thought I wouldn’t like it because the band was pretty scratchy/irritating, but a few washes have softened it up and now I often forget to take it off right away.

So, amazingly, I bought two bras online and ended up with two awesome bras. I should’ve played the lotto cause when does that ever happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment