Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Letter from Jaime and Taryn

It’s hard to remember a time when a family member or friend didn’t have breast cancer. As a child, my grandmother was diagnosed. As a pre-teen, my godmother and aunt. In high school, my mother had her first tumor removed. And in 2003, the year I graduated, my aunt Jill lost her years-long battle.

Looking at the genetics, I know that I am at high-risk of also developing breast cancer…which is why I practice early detection methods, even though I’m only in my early 20’s.

In honor of October Breast Cancer Awareness month, Jaime King and I decided to launch “Save a Tit,” a comedic viral video campaign that exposes young women to methods of breast cancer prevention and early detection.

The campaign will consist of 6 celebrity-driven videos released each month on Funny or Die, YouTube, Veoh, and a variety of other viral platforms. Her Energy, an energy drink designed for women, got behind the ‘Save A Tit’ 100% and has been instrumental in making this all happen.

The slogan of our series is “Touch a Tit, Save a Tit.” Though the project is clearly intended to be edgy, our hope is to use comedy to send out a strong message about prevention and early detection.  Breast cancer has affected the lives of so many friends and family, and yet most young women still think that it won’t happen to them.

Sincerely,

Taryn Southern and Jaime King

Jaime King and Taryn Southern

No comments:

Post a Comment