Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wild hearts kept in cages (typically NSFW)

Earlier today Panda Eraser quoted Tori Amos, saying, “You’re just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird.” I told her that it always made me think of a line from Tennessee Williams: “A prayer for the wild hearts, kept in cages.” That in turn made me think of the lyrics to a song I really like by awesomely offbeat and unusual indie Australian artist Sia Furler.

She is even more delightful in person, apparently, as is evidenced by this video of her performing her song “Electric Bird” live, off of her album Some People Have Real Problems. (There is another video on youtube of her performing this song live at Bush Hall in London which begins with her in mid-rapport with the audience, saying, “I’m into trannies, too, and sometimes chicks. Whatever: send me a letter!” Attagirl. That one has embedding disabled by request but you can easily find it. Oh, heckfire, here’s a link.)



Someone plugged you in

And sadly they clipped your wings

Now you can’t fly away electric bird

Yeah someone took your tweet

One day they fed you that bad seed

You can’t fly away electric bird

Well you’re art, you fell into this part

You play the victim perfectly holding your beating heart

You used to be so smart

You fluttered round the yard making your magic

Got to set you free, you were blinded by deceit

You can’t fly away electric bird

So now this rooms all staged

While you’re stuck there in that cage

You can’t fly away electric bird

Well you’re art, you fell into this part

You play the victim perfectly holding your beating heart

You used to be so smart

You fluttered round the yard making your magic

—Sia, “Electric Bird,” Some People Have Real Problems.

You can listen to the album version here.

I think the point which Sia is making is that we often cage ourselves, we set ourselves up to be the victims, whether consciously or un-. I don’t know if it’s a devil-you-know situation or an issue of masochism, and I’m not sure yet how this relates to Tennessee and Tori — or me. But I’ve got some ideas and I’m thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment