Monday, October 12, 2009

And Then 'The Bigs' Exploded

By Bianca

Sylvia and I sometimes feel like the Anna Nicole Smiths of the fat feeds. We’re basically stumbling around, wearing awesomely tacky outfits, slurring “Do you shlike our bodieeeeessssssssshhhh?”.

And we’re generally ok with that. Like Britney Spears once said “Sometimes it’s not the deep, y’all”. Or something close to that in the middle of crying her fake eyelashes off. Oh lord, remember that hideous outfit she was wearing? And her hair? Ugh, I am having a major skeevy flashback right now.

Anyways, the last few days were certainly interesting.  And we like interesting. Let me tell you there is nothing worse than spending an entire night talking to a cute guy at a bar, only to realize when you get home, that you spent the whole time telling him about your awesome Hello Kitty Lipgloss collection. Not that I would know anything about that. Nope. Not me.

I would say overall it was a very good discussion. Some people agreed with what we wrote, and some people didn’t. And both are entirely fine with us. Of course we like the people who agreed with us better, but that is neither here nor there.

There is something I would like to point out though. There is a huge difference between ‘I disagree with you and here’s why’ and ‘You’re WRONG!’. Now if I said 2 plus 2 equals 5, you are more than welcome to say “Hey Bianca, you’re totally wrong”. But if I express an opinion about…let’s say a poem, and you come back with “You are so totally and utterly wrong, you disgust me”, then you are being an asshole.  Now I know saying someone is an asshole can be considered an opinion, and therefore up for discussion, but in this instance I’m right and you’re wrong so nanny, nanny, boo, boo.

The awesome thing about being an adult, is that you have usually learned by now to have a civil discussion. Some people choose not to use those skills, but it’s certainly better than it was in high school, where you just slept with your best friend’s boyfriend to get her back for telling you the skirt you wore on Tuesday made you look like a hoochie. Once again, nothing that I would personally know anything about.

My experience is not your experience, is not Kate Harding’s experience, is not my best friend’s second cousin twice removed college roommate’s experience. I think Big Liberty said it best:

In other words, there’s a big difference between seeing the person as a whole person — history, actual conditioning, reasoned beliefs based on experience/interest — and as someone who is merely an intersection between various social classifications

Now we are not really bothered by trolls, so even if someone who claims to be part of ‘the movement’ feels the need to insult us, we’re kind of like ‘Eh’. Of course we care to a point, because no one likes to be called names, but overall our reception here has been pretty positive. A bunch of blogs all saying the same thing would be boring, at least in my opinion, and not everyone is good at writing serious stuff all the time. Laughing is good for you. And it burns calories.

So hopefully everyone has taken a collective deep breath, and moved on to more important topics. Like figuring out a way to get Sylvia and I our own tv show.

No comments:

Post a Comment