Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Bond

It’s October, and that means it’s “Pink Ribbon Month“. Over on Redbubble there have been many a Bubbler – my very own Jamie included – who have been doing works of art specifically to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research. Boobies are everywhere! I’m not complaining. It’s very good. Boobs are good. I like boobs! And I, not wanting to be left out of doing my own signature bit for the cause, have done something a bit different so as to make a point on two fronts: one, for breast cancer awareness and, two, for breastfeeding.

You may or may not know that breastfeeding, while infinitely beneficial to the child, cuts the risks of getting breast cancer (along with other wonderful benefits for the mother – not the least of which is calorie burning and not having to get up in the middle of the night to make bottles). I don’t have the statistics here – be sure to look them up if you’re interested, but I know that breasfeeding mothers are at less risk of the dreaded disease than mothers who do not breastfeed their babies.

I am extremely pro-breastfeeding, for many reasons. But, I like to point out the “selfish” ones, because all too many women are under the false impression that it is an inconvenience for them to breastfeed. I consider the outrageous prices of formula and sterilizing bottles to be much more of an inconvenience, thank you very much. And, even if it was “inconvenient” – which it is not! – the benefits for both mother and baby far outweigh any slight “inconveniences”!!! And, yes, now I’ve stepped onto my soap box (I’m not going to appologise for it)…I’m quite passionate about this. But, what could be more important than insuring better health for not only your child, but also giving yourself the added benefit of protecting your health as well! It’s a win, win, win, win, win, win…. you get the idea… situation!

 So, with all that in mind, my artistic contribution for these very worthy causes is this image:

image NOT public domain © Copyright 2009 Songmistress, All Rights Reserved

(click here to see detail and information about purchasing)

This magical composite scene features me and my son, Warrick; all my own photos and textures were used.

I have breastfed all my babies, and I can attest to the wonderful bonding that occurs between mother and child.

I’ve also added a bit of symbolism here, pointing to Mother Earth, oneness with nature, and nourishment – both physical and spiritual – on a world-wide, big picture scale.

If purchased, all proceeds for this piece will go to cancer research uk.

So…that’s my bit. And, I felt it important enough to blog about it. So, thank YOU for reading. Now, I hope you will go do your bit, too. Even if your bit is only to remember to check your own mammieries or remind a friend to do so!

SAVE THE BOOBIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment